NZ Bibliophile

After realising that I had read 49 books in 2005 I resolved to read at least 52 in 2006... this is my record of that attempt. I will post the details of each book or paper I read and like minded people can make comments and/or make suggestions. A posting doesn't necessarily mean I recommend it, just that I have read it!

Friday, May 12, 2006

A First Year in Canterbury Settlement by Samuel Butler

Title: A First Year in Canterbury Settlement
Author: Samuel Butler
Type: Non-fiction
ISBN: N/A
Published: 1863
Comments: A really easy to read book about Samuel Butler's early days in Canterbury, New Zealand. Assembled from letters and journals that he wrote during the time it reveals interesting facts about the Canterbury region that perhaps not many people know - for instance the fact that there were glaciers on this side (east) of the South Island (these days only on the west coast). At only 162 pages, I'd recommend this book to anyone who has the slightest interest in the history of Canterbury.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home